With the 200th anniversary of the start of the War of 1812 being observed in 2012, the Delaware Public Archives will be hosting a program entitled “The Star Spangled Banner Project” on Saturday, June 2, 10:30 a.m. This program will be presented by Suzanne Thomassen-Krauss, Senior Textile Conservator at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History.
As Chief Conservator for this project at the Smithsonian Institution, Thomassen-Krauss headed the treatment program for an important American historical treasure: the flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore following the British bombardment in September 1814. It was seeing this flag in the morning following the battle that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the words to the National Anthem. Included in this presentation will be information about the history of the flag, the actual treatment process, and the efforts of the Smithsonian to preserve it in a custom designed display.
Thomassen-Krauss received her Master of Science in Art Conservation and Certificate in Textile Conservation from the University of Delaware/H. F. duPont Winterthur Program and her Bachelor of Arts in Art History from the State University of New York at New Paltz.
The program is free to the public. No reservations are required. For more information, contact Tom Summers (302) 744-5047 or e-mail email@example.com.
Actually there have been five lighthouses at Port Mahon to guide ships and waterman on the Delaware Bay. The first was built in 1831 and because of erosion, a series of replacements were built. The last lighthouse was built in 1903 and lasted until 1984. Recently processed, the Delaware Technical and Community College Photograph Collection has an excellent series of photos of this last Port Mahon lighthouse. Taken by the Del Tech photographer, Al Vietri, these photos are now available to the public. During the 1970s, Del Tech was interested in purchasing the Port Mahon buildings and dock areas for use in a marine science program. Mr. Vietri scouted the area documenting both the real estate and the natural habitat, including the lighthouse. This is fortunate for posterity, because a few years later the lighthouse burned and only the pilings survive today.
Written on: May 2nd, 2012 in Research Room
With all the excitement about the Kentucky Derby, we had some people stop by to see if we had anything relating to thoroughbred racing in Delaware. They loved looking at all the old photographs from Delaware Park. They reviewed state reports, administrative files from the Department of Agriculture on the Thoroughbred Racing Commission and scrapbooks and newspaper clippings. They got a list of commission members and even looked at legislation relating to horse racing. They were so amazed at the early apprentice indentures for harness making and trimming.
To view more pictures of thoroughbred racing in Delaware, view our album on Facebook.